Friday, May 23, 2014

A Disappointing Anti-Climax: A Review Black Widow #6

(writer) Nathan Edmonson
(artist) Phil Noto

When Marvel Comics included the entire Black Widow #1 as a bonus feature to Superior Spider-Man #31, my curiosity was piqued, both by the dynamic action and Phil Noto's stylized art.

Six issues later, though, I find myself disillusioned with a non-ending basically designed to hook me into the rest of the series.

Natasha Romanoff a.k.a. the Black Widow has found the principal behind the Mad Monk, the religious fanatic/assassin who has been giving her a headache for the last two issues or so, an it happens to be an old enemy of hers, Damon Dran a.k.a. the Indestructible Man. As it turns out, he is extremely paranoid (which is, in fact, the title of the issue) due to the fact that he has discovered that he is not quite indestructible after all. Events that unfold in the issue actually bear out this fear.

For the few people who may read this issue, I will not spoil any plot points, but suffice it to say that the series' first major story arc's supposed final issue is poorly paced and, more surprisingly, poorly drawn.

It was quite a bit of a letdown, considering the excellent first three issues, and perhaps I will revisit the series in collected form, depending on how they recover from this, but for now, considering my limited budget (nobody is paying me to review these comics, after all), I'll have to take this off my list. Sorry, Natasha.

6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment