Sunday, April 10, 2016

Quick Looks: A Review of Daredevil #5

written by Charles Soule
drawn by Ron Garney
colored by Matt Milla

The first arc of the new creative team of Daredevil comes to an end. The Hand have come for Billy Tenfingers, who stole their power, and this time they are not content to send a few dozen ninja; this time they send a giant corpse warrior, who in the course of his attack actually worse than kill Tenfingers; he exposes him to his followers as the coward that he is. Ruined, Tenfingers plans to kill his followers and start over, but Daredevil's new sidekick Blindspot might have something to say about that, so he calls out to Daredevil through a somewhat imaginative use of social networking, and in short order the man without fear is on the scene.

I approached this title with tempered expectations, considering my great affection for the creators that preceded Soule and Garney, and I have to say, while I still found this story all right, it really felt like a let down after the standard of quality that Waid and Samnee set for this title. I would have been more interested, truth be told, to see Soule explain what's been going on in Matt's life since this radical new status quo, but I suppose it'll sell more comic books to to reveal things a little bit at a time. As action-packed stories go, it was all right, it really didn't have anything I hadn't seen before, for all of the hype that's been made about Soule's being a lawyer and Garney's being a martial artist, neither of the creators' talents really contributed anything to the story.

I'm sticking around for Elektra's appearance next issue, and I sincerely hope things start to pick up from this point onwards. The previews for the issue look promising, and I still want to know just what happened to Matt.



6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment