Sunday, January 15, 2017

Catch-Up Reading: A Review of Black Widow #9

written by Chris Samnee and Mark Waid
drawn by Samnee
colored by Matt Wilson

"No More Secrets" continiues as Black Widow's childhood rival Recluse strikes a deadly blow against one of her oldest allies, and not even an impromptu team up with her one-time flame and partner in the field, the Winter Soldier may be enough to take her down. Meanwhile, Widow's unwilling partner, the Weeping Lion, continues to plot behind her back.

As entertaining as Samnee's yarn for Black Widow is, I can't help but feel the story's being stretched a bit thin, and his cool, minimalist storytelling that felt new and refreshing way back in issue #1, which was just an extended fight scene, is starting to feel a little old. This is still an entertaining read, though. Waid's dialogue still has some pep in it, though he really is just along for the ride on this one.

Also, it's hard to begrudge Samnee his storytelling indulgences when he delivers work this stunning. This is the first time Samnee has drawn the character since his five-issue run on the "Captain America and Bucky" series over half a decade ago, and I was struck by how much he's grown as an artist since then. The rendering is incredible.

The sad thing, is, though, that seeing just how incredible Samnee's work is here just makes me wish he was working on a book I could enjoy more. That, I realize is the harshest indictment I can give this book; it's got me thinking of what else Samnee can do.

Another tragedy is that, with comic book prices escalating the way they are, I don't know if I'll be able to follow Samnee (or any other creator) whether he stays or goes. What I do know is that if I only get to follow one set of comic book creators, Waid and Samnee would be on the top of that list.

6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment