Thursday, March 2, 2017

Destroying S.H.I.E.L.D. Again? A Review of Black Widow #11

written by Chris Samnee and Mark Waid
drawn by Samnee
colored by Matt Wilson

This series' penultimate issue plays out in much the same way that the first one did, with the invasion of a S.H.I.E.L.D. base. In the first issue it was a helicarrier, here it's a top secret installation somewhere. In the first issue there was but one invader, Black Widow herself, here it's the six lethal students of the new Red Room, now led by Widow's rival Recluse.

Chris Samnee's and Mark Waid's take on Marvel Comics' most popular superspy started with a bang and is ending, unfortunately, on a bit of whimper as this issue seems to recycle not only imagery and action beats from the first issue (probably by design) but also the somewhat done-to-death plot device of putting S.H.I.E.L.D. on the brink of destruction.

Samnee's art is as outstanding as it has been all throughout this series, but really, when story feels like a retread of so many others before it, there's really only so much wonderful illustrations can do.

When the dialogue tried to impress how urgent the situation depicted in the issue was by saying that S.H.I.E.L.D. was at stake, I couldn't help but think to myself: there's still a S.H.I.E.L.D.? Samnee picked the wrong organization in the Marvel Universe to imperil.

I'm still coming back for the last issue, but what I really want to know at this point what Samnee will be doing next, with Waid along for the ride, if possible. This guy is a certified A-lister, and his prodigious talents are clearly wasted on what has degenerated into a somewhat mediocre title.


6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment