Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Late to the Party: A Review of Black Widow #12

co-written by Chris Samnee and Mark Waid
drawn by Samnee
colored by Matt Wilson

This review is over a month late, but I'm posting it anyway for some sense of closure.

Last March Chris Samnee and his co-conspirators that included writer Mark Waid, colorist Matt Wilson and letterer Joe Caramagna delivered the last issue of their twelve-run on Black Widow, which will probably be rebooted in a few months' time after the whole "Secret Empire" business has worked out. The last issue saw Natasha Romanov's deadly rival Recluse bring her six young recruits to destroy S.H.I.E.L.D. at a remote facility, and this issue resolves everything. At the risk of sounding spoilery, suffice it to say that this issue, and the series in general, does not upset any character's status quo, which should give you an idea of how this ends.

When Samnee and Waid set up the climax to their year-long story with a threat to the very existence of S.H.I.E.L.D. I groaned out loud, and this issue is really no different as they trot out yet another well-worn story trope to wrap up all the loose ends.

As an exercise to help Chris Samnee get his feet wet with the whole writing thing, I think this series was definitely worth picking up. His art is better than it's ever been, and doing his own plotting has given him a degree of freedom I don't think he's ever had before. As a visual storyteller, this guy is right up there with the best of them, though I confess I am not a fan of the story he put together.

All told, I end the series with no regrets, but at the same time I hope that Samnee's next creative endeavor is something that manages to achieve the narrative as well as visual heights of his work with Waid on Daredevil.

6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment