Saturday, January 20, 2018

Molly's Plan: A Review of Runaways #5

written by Rainbow Rowell
drawn by Kris Anka
colored by Matt Wilson

Feeling as emotionally displaced as she is physically, Gert Yorkes finally decides to shack up with Molly and her grandmother. While Molly is, at first, ecstatic about this, she knows things about her grandmother that Gert doesn't, and, believing that Gert's best interests might not necessarily be served by staying, makes a bold decision. Meanwhile, Chase, Victor, Nico and Karolina make a pretty bold decision of their own.

As we enter the penultimate chapter of this series' newest iteration, it makes sense that things would finally kick into high gear. The nice thing is that this particular story direction feels organic without necessarily feeling predictable. And Rowell's characterization of the villain of the piece feels very nicely nuanced. It's hard to be specific without spoiling the story but I'm pretty sure anyone reading this (and who's been following the story) knows who I'm talking about.

This story, much like the series in which it's set quite nicely defies convention and the usual tropes, even as it builds to its climax, which, as comic-book stories are wont to be these days, will likely be an anticlimax setting up the next six or so issues. Like I said in a previous review, I'm all right with that; Rowell and Anka have really given me something to sink my teeth into here. I love how the characterizations are both so spot on, almost as if Brian K. Vaughn himself had scripted them, and yet at the same time show so much character evolution, especially in the case of Gert, who's had to take on so much change in so little time. Rowell really surprised me with Molly; as out of left field as her decisions in this issue may seem, it all feels entirely consistent who she is. I also was struck by how I feel both pity and loathing for the eternally lonely Nico, my favorite character from the initial run who, since the book restarted, really can't seem to get her s**t together. It all feels so very right, and both Rowell's words and Anka's and Wilson's striking images just hit all the right notes. Anka, in particular, seems to get better with every single issue; I wonder what he's got in store for the climax.

I have yet to see the Hulu television series that prompted Marvel to bring these characters out of mothballs, but if I never get to see it and only get to read these issues, then I can count myself as one satisfied fan.

9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment