Sunday, September 10, 2023

A REALLY Late Review: The Amazing Spider-Man #30

 written by Zeb Wells

drawn by Ed McGuinness (p) and Mark Farmer (i)

colored by Marcio Menyz


Due to a snafu with the shipping at my local comics shop I wasn't able to get my hands on this issue right away, and so I put off reviewing it, and before I knew it three more issues had come out. I sourced the comic elsewhere so that I could finally give my two cents' worth.


Last issue, Otto Octavius aka Doctor Octopus was just about to inject Norman Osborn with the Green Goblin serum in the hopes of returning him to his former, malevolent state. As this issue starts, he pushes through, albeit not with the expected results. Then, Peter Parker aka Spider-Man arrives on the scene wearing Otto's old arms, and a throwdown quite unlike any other in the history of the book ensues. 


I have to say: I am so very glad Ed McGuiness is on this book because I really was this close to calling it quits after Zeb Wells idiotic stunt involving Ms. Marvel. This four-parter has been a delight to read and I quite enjoy how Wells revisits the whole "Superior Spider-Man" era with Otto and Peter. It's something Marvel will expound on elsewhere, of course, but this story in and of itself is quite satisfying, and Ed is absolutely on the top of his game.  Of course, the story ends making mention of Kamala Khan, who was still dead at that point, and while it made sense to have the characters talk about it, it only reminded me of Marvel's limp marketing gimmick, and took me out of the story if only for a moment. 


Still, this issue was a great ride. 


9.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment