Sunday, December 11, 2016

Blindspot in a Bind: A Review of Daredevil #13

written by Charles Soule
drawn by Ron Garney
colored by Matt Milla

Daredevil's pursuit of the murderous Muse continues, but this time it's his protege Blindspot who finds himself within striking distance of the mysterious self-proclaimed artist. After Muse murders a bailiff, he flees to the sewers with a judge, with Blindspot in hot pursuit. In the sewers, it turns out Muse has gathered two policemen, a politician along with his newly captured judge, and he already has plans for his next grisly tableau. Blindspot intervenes, and Muse turns his ire towards him. Will Blindspot be able to hold his own, at least long enough for Daredevil to make it to the scene?

I'm not quite sure why, but I really find myself enjoying this story a lot. This is the one arc I've read since Soule took over the title from Mark Waid and Chris Samnee that really has me hooked, and I think a large part of that is how Soule approaches this as more of a psychological thriller than the crime noir approach that characterized the stories before this one. The urgency feels real, and the fact that Blindspot is a new, arguably expendable character means that the peril in this particular situation has some weight to it. Also, even with the involvement of the Inhumans, the story has a distinctly grounded feel to it, and all of this makes for a surprisingly riveting read.

Garney's sketchy artwork is a perfect fit for this particular approach to storytelling, and I have to say as the series' main artist, he really does himself proud with this arc. He's still not among my favorite Daredevil artists ever, but it now becomes apparent to me why Marvel chose him as Samnee's replacement. Milla's greyscale coloring adds the just the right amount of atmosphere and chills.

Things come to a head next issue, and I'm anxious to see how this crime thriller will ultimately be resolved.

8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment